[TriLUG] I want to build an HTTP Proxy for Home

Matthew Lavigne maillist at shenandoahkennels.net
Sun Aug 1 17:53:20 EDT 2004

On Sunday 01 August 2004 13:56, Roy Vestal wrote:
> I want to build an HTTP Proxy for my home network. I'd like to use an
> old notebook I have lying around. It's a P-90, 40MB RAM, 2GB HDD. Not
> much of a machine, but for my use it should be plenty. I'm planning on
> using Debian stable on it simply because FC1/2 and WBEL are just too
> dang big and the notebook doesn't meet the requirements.
>
> Anyway, I was thinking of using Squid. Didn't know if anyone else had
> suggestions or experience that they'd like to share. Anyone know of
> howto's? I haven't check TLDP yet.
>
> TIA

Roy,

Something to look at may be ClarkConnect.  I use it on an overpowered system
at the house but I would image that a slimmed down install can be had without
too much trouble.  I don't have a clean install to give you the install size
but I am looking at 19 GB in root with 18GB of it in my home dir.  It is also
full featured and web configurable.

Full featured means that it has gallery, httpd, squid, privoxy, ftp, ssh, mail
(to include SA) and a bunch more.  Additionally once you register it with
ClarkConnect they will do dydns for free (ie your registered
name.pointclark.net).

link http://www.clarkconnect.org/index.php

Lemme know what ya think