[TriLUG] I want to build an HTTP Proxy for Home

Dan Monjar dan at daijin.dissimulo.com
Mon Aug 2 10:42:38 EDT 2004

--On Sunday, August 01, 2004 01:56:15 PM -0400 Roy Vestal
<rvestal at trilug.org> wrote:

> I want to build an HTTP Proxy for my home network. I'd like to use an
> old notebook I have lying around. It's a P-90, 40MB RAM, 2GB HDD. Not
> much of a machine, but for my use it should be plenty. I'm planning on
> using Debian stable on it simply because FC1/2 and WBEL are just too
> dang big and the notebook doesn't meet the requirements.
>
> Anyway, I was thinking of using Squid. Didn't know if anyone else had
> suggestions or experience that they'd like to share. Anyone know of
> howto's? I haven't check TLDP yet.

Educate me please, how would having a proxy on that size machine for just a
few users help you?  I've always viewed proxies as helping when you have
lots of memory for the cache and lots of users to take advantage of it.
Not flammage, just an honest question.

That said, I, too, have used Squid for quite a few years, inside the
business, with great success.

--
Dan Monjar