[TriLUG] DirecPC and VoIP (Kinda OT)

Michael Thompson thompson at easternrad.com
Wed Aug 4 08:09:47 EDT 2004

I was also a DPC sufferer, but I was able to create a Linux network with
my old Sat-down/Dialup-up DPC by using Windows connection sharing from
an old box, then putting it on the outside of my Linux firewall and of
course putting all my linux boxes inside.  iirc, I had to use some NAT
on the firewall, and used zonealarm for the windows box.  Worked great
(well, as great as DirecPC *will* work) for a couple of years until
thankfully, I got cable in my area.  There is an app out there that
allows Linux to connect to the DPC modem directly, and use the dial-up
uplink, but it was around $400 iirc, and I already had an extra machine
so I opted for the Winders solution.

BTW, if anyone is interested in a DirecPC Sat modem, I have one without
dish I'd be willing to part with, make me an offer...  :)  (The DPC dish
gives us better reception on our satellite, dunno why...)

I realize this post is OT from the original post, but it may be useful
to someone else...

:) -- mike