[TriLUG] DirecPC and VoIP (Kinda OT)

Aaron Caudle aaron_caudle at speedsin.net
Wed Aug 4 12:33:27 EDT 2004

Thanks for so much information guys.  I really appreciate it.  This
problem has been hanging over my head for months now and I just want to
get it resolved.
I am currently inquiring with the installers in Haiti on the issue too.
BTW - they recommended Vonage.
Since the phone connects to our office here in Asheville, I think I have
control over the codecs, but if it is G.711 then I know we don't have
that type of bandwidth.  We are using an Altigen PBX and we can actually
see the phone connect, reports its IP etc.  However, when dialing the
extension we just get a line is busy error.
One of my fellow employees (who is responsible for the phone server)
contacted Altigen and they said that the latency might be the issue in
that the server might time out when trying to establish communication
with the phone.  Although I don't understand it completely, that
scenario seems likely.
I sent a Smoothwall down there, in hopes of being able to have some
degree of control over the issues and configuration.  We tried yesterday
and for some reason I wasn't even able to connect to it.  Now, I realize
that I can't avoid that satellites NAT and that by using the smoothwall
I am just adding another layer of NATing.  (IM and language barriers
make troubleshooting very difficult and time consuming.)
I'm pretty sure that they aren't getting close to their transfer cap
because the power is very sporadic.  Most of the time all the equipment
and network is running off some generators and this is only for a few
hours a day.
Once again, I really appreciate everyones help, keep the suggestions coming!
Sincerely,
Aaron Caudle
speedsin.net