[TriLUG] soekris 4801

ljacobs lj at mandala-designs.com
Sat Aug 7 12:57:58 EDT 2004

Just a short note to alert people about the Soekris devices (http://www.soekris.com) that can be used to build embedded systems. I now have several of these systems, about a 5.5" x 8" x .5" metal box with a CPU & 128MB RAM on the board, an external power supply and either a CF disk or a laptop 2.5" IDE drive connected using an adapter kit that Soekris supplies.

These boxes can be used for a variety of applications including VPNs or firewalls. I've got mine running OpenBSD 3.5 with CARP. pfsync, and pf. They make an excellent failover server/firewall for my colocated net of web and database servers. Could also run a pass-through/relay version of postfix or sendmail.

Installation requires grokking PXE Boot and more details to follow.

--Len Jacobs

Sent via the WebMessaging system at mandala-designs.com