[TriLUG] throttling bandwidth in a test environment

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Aug 11 13:07:39 EDT 2004

Dan Monjar wrote:

> Anyone know of any techniques to throttle bandwidth on a LAN for
> testing? We want to see how an application would run across a WAN of
> varying bandwidth.  How would I make a Ethernet segment throttle down
> to something like T1 speeds?

Most of the firewalling implementations these days have the ability to
do this.  The most flexible and powerful (and ironically also the
simplest), is OpenBSD's "pf" firewall.  Another perfectly serviceable
implementation is FreeBSD's ipfw2 - which is as capable as "pf" for 90%
of things, just not quite as intuitive to configure (it's more like
iptables than pf).

Then, there's iptables under Linux.  In order to to traffic shaping you
need to couple iptables with another tool to handle the traffic
shaping.  I have no practical experience with this, although a cursory
bit of research shows that it should be possible with tc or tcng.
Perhaps someone can provide some insight into other possible ways to
accomplish traffic shaping under Linux.  The last time I looked at doing
it with Linux was easily 2+ years ago, and I'm sure many developments to
the available tools have been made since then.

Aaron S. Joyner