[TriLUG] OSS Visio or whatever...what we may be looking for.

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 10:17:07 EDT 2004

If you're experience has been even close to mine, then what you may be
looking for is something that allows you to create a diagram or
drawing in a file format compatible with Visio.  I've spent a great
deal of time making the case for and testing open source applications
that perform identical functions (not necessarily in the same exact
manner) with the same or a very similar end result.
Unfortunately, the limitation of file format rules out most visio-like
open source applications for interoperability with Visio.  To make
things worse, I've observed that even "standard" file types which are
saved with M$ Visio, have a problem opening in many OSS visio-like
applications, and vice versa.  Someday, there may be a product which
solves these problems. But not yet.

MPF

On 12 Aug 2004 11:54:59 -0000, rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com