[TriLUG] /etc/sysconfig/network question

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 12 20:14:51 EDT 2004

Yeah, this is a basic one, but one I'm finding conflicting answers for.

1. If a computer is on a DHCP network where the hostname, but not the
domain information, of that computer is set and typed in during the
installation should /etc/sysconfig/network contain the fully qualified
name or just the hostname without the domain info?

i.e. should /etc/sysconfig/network for vtcmail on the network
gc.lucent.com read just HOSTNAME=vtcmail or
HOSTNAME=vtcmail.gc.lucent.com?

This page at RH seems to indicate it should be the fully-qualified name
yet many other google searches say, no, it should only contain the
fully qualified name:

<"http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/ref-guide/s1-
boot-init-shutdown-sysconfig.html">

Right now, the server I'm having so many troubles with has the
fully-qualified name in /etc/sysconfig/network

Greg