[TriLUG] /etc/sysconfig/network question

Marty Ferguson marty.ferguson at pobox.com
Thu Aug 12 23:27:30 EDT 2004

My bad...

Sometimes it would do me well to actually study the question....

This is a dhclient vs DHCP...DNS...dhclient...resolver  issue....

In certain situations, resolver wants to catenate the domain name to the
host name.
Usually you simply want to provide the host name alone, not the FQDN
when establishing
hostname to the system.   All of the files in the /etc/sysconfig path
are simply redhat-isms for
your convenience so that your config parameters are all in 1 location
for the init scripts.

Check man (7) hostname for the complicated mumbojumbo about resolver.

Your problem may be best solved by handing out a fixed address from your
DHCP server to
your mailhost, and nailing down the MAC/IP address combination.