[TriLUG] Re: URPMI repositories (non-troll version)

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Sat Aug 14 14:49:09 EDT 2004

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> You probably went through the period where the mandrake repositories
> got reorganized.  Yes, they did change the directory structure on all
> their repositories when 10.0 came out, but they also changed their
> entire structure of how their distribution worked.  Red Hat did the
> exact same thing for RHEL.  If you want a reliable urpmi repository,
> try the one I use: raven.cslab.vt.edu.  It's located nearby at
> Virginia Tech, it works well, and it's been very reliable for me.

Yes, my attempts were right after the release of 10 community, so
therein lies my frustration.  Not a happy introduction.  This
frustration is not enough to get me to switch away from Mandrake
however.  I still use it.  I'll give it another go.

Thanks for the pointer to a decent server.  I was about ready to break
out netselect and do some manual server selecting.

>  From what I know, apt has to download the entire package info list
> each time it updates too.  Are you saying that yum does not?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.  Yum downloads a flat file index of
packages on the server, and then incremental updates of the RPM headers.
  It can also be run "while you sleep", and then cached.

Joseph
Still a Mandrake lUser.