[TriLUG] wireless security

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 20 13:50:20 EDT 2004

WEP is too easily broken.

If you are setting up a public-use wireless network I would suggest you
take a look at using a VPN router behind the access point.  The VPN
router will force authentication for each user and encrypt the traffic
as an added bonus.  OpenBSD could play this part as well.

If you are setting up a point-to-point wireless link between two
buildings I'd suggest placing an OpenBSD box on either end of the link
and running ipsec across the link.  Of if you're not going to set up
this link within, say, the next month or so I can provide you with a
turn-key encryptor box for just type of thing.  I'm still testing it,
so it won't be ready for prime-time for a bit.

Greg