[TriLUG] gnome desktop keyboard question

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Aug 23 06:56:58 EDT 2004

Ralph Blach wrote:

> My son has a linux setup at school.  It is a redhat 9.0 running on a
> 500mhz pentium processor.
>
> he has mozilla 1.7.2 and open office 1.1.2. His base desktop os gnome.
>
> The other day he locked out his keyboard somehow.  I looked for a long
> time on my system on how this could happen.
>
> No keyboard input was allowed on any of windows.  Is there a setting
> in GNOME that would lock out the keyboard totally.
>
> I fixed it by removing his .gconf files and having him restart gnome.
>
> Any ideas..
>
> Thanks
>
> Chip

I don't know of any global setting that would cause that, but I don't
claim to know Gnome all that thoroughly at all.  Strangely though, I
have had a similar, yet different, problem with terminals.  If you
inadvertently press control-s (^s)while typing (on ye-old average
system), the terminal will appear to hang!  The reasoning is of course
that ^s is the stop character, as shown by the output of stty -a, much
in the same way that Control-Z is the suspend character.  The
resolution: Control-q is the start character, and will allow you to
continue upon your merry way.  :)

Happy Typing!

Aaron S. Joyner