[TriLUG] Apache innaccessible from outside of home router

Rick DeNatale rick at denhaven2.homeip.net
Mon Aug 23 23:43:18 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 17:49 -0400, Victor Snesarev wrote:
> Thanks for the tip! I tried from an external shell account and was able
> to get through to the FC2 PC.
>
> It is strange that I cannot reach the FC2 PC via a Windows PC running on
> the same LAN by going through the external IP address. Must be some kind
> of NAT restriction. Can anyone recommend how to get around this?
>
> One way is obviously to use the internal LAN address when on the LAN and
> use the external router address when accessing the FC2 PC from the outside.

The fact that you are doing it from a windows machine could be a red
herring. Some appliance NAT routers have spotty or no support for server
address loopback (in other words connections from the LAN side to the
WAN address on a port which is routed to a LAN machine). Can you reach
Apache from the FC2 machine it's running on using the WAN address?