[TriLUG] Gmail invite

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 24 07:40:13 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 02:28:29AM -0400, Matt Frye wrote:
> A Gmail invite to the first person who can describe Jensen's Device
> and it's significance in modern computer programming.

Jensen's Device : uses the property that name parameters are
re-evaluated on every reference

passing parameters by name creates a new instance of that variable
and it's initial value

It appears to be the basis of the function, procedure, and object
in modern programing languages.  It also may have been the beginning
of the end of the "goto" or "jump" control mechanism.

The goto is by no means dead in real-time control.  It actually makes
code easier to read when there are deeply nested conditions.

Reference:
http://www.augustana.ca/~mohrj/courses/common/csc370/lecture_notes/algol3.html

> If you already have Gmail, don't be a hot shot.  Sit on your hands
> until the end of the day.  If no one gets it by then, I'll trade it
> for a beer.
>
> MPF

Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.