[TriLUG] OT: When did GMail prostitution get so popular?

Ed Anderson nilbus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 13:07:06 EDT 2004

Gmail is the most amazing web-based email I have ever used. It blew my
mind when I first got it.

The thing I like most is how it groups all threads/conversations.  For
example, when new mail arrives from an old thread. When you open the
new message, all the previous messages in the thread are right there,
collapsed. You can click any of the previous messages, and it will
expand so you can see the message.  By default, it hides all quoted
text from old messages to avoid redundancy, but again you can expand
it.

Shrinking, expanding, etc doesn't load a new page.  In fact,
wheverever possible, the links in gmail modify the current page rather
than going to a new page.  It does things I'd never imagined were
possible on a webpage, and makes everything much faster.

The option to delete mail forever is definitely still there, but I
hardly use it unless I get spam.
Where most webmail services have a Delete button, gmail has an Archive
button, making it pretty easy to archive messages.  The advantages
being you can always go back and find messages if for some reason you
need them later, you don't have to leave a bunch of messages in your
inbox, and all previous messages in a conversation/thread are
available for viewing.

Instead of Folders to sort messages, gmail uses Labels.  It's
virtually the same thing, but you can have more than one label per
message.

The spam protection is pretty decent I hear, but I haven't gotten any yet.

Anyway, I LOVE gmail and would recommend it to anybody. I used to hate
webmail, but this is truly excellent.

Ed

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:49:11 -0400 (EDT), Matt Pusateri
<mpusateri at wickedtrails.com> wrote:
> > I don't know, but I'll offer a free gmail invite to whoever comes up
> > with the best answer. ;-)
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 11:15:48AM -0400, bp wrote:
> >> "Explain the meaning of life to me and I'll send you a Gmail invite."
> >>
> >> When did pimping out Gmail invites get so popular?  Every day i check
> >> the
> >> list I see another person asking a question with a dangling
> >> gmail-invite for the best answer.
>

> I was going to leave this thread alone, but as my Grandma likes to tell me
> "You hate peace"
>
> 1. First if I offend anyone I am sorry
>
> 2. I think the gmail invites have spurred some good discusions (although
> most way over my head)
>
> 3. Maybe someone with a Gmail account can weigh in here, but I don't see
> why I would want one?  I don't want google analyzing every email I send
> and then inserting their own content (ie ads, etc) into my mail.  If they
> aren't doing this then I have misunderstood.  Also I don't know if I like
> the we will keep your email forever even if you delete it?  Again if I
> have misunderstood let me know.  I don't think I need 1G of email of
> course it is nice that I got 100M from my throw away yahoo account because
> of it.  But maybe I just don't get it because I am lucky enough for my
> employer to let me have a server on their IP space, and thus just run my
> own mail server.
>
> 4. If I would get a Gmail account from someone who is pimping one, would
> that make me their Gmail Ho?
>

> Matt Pusateri

Ed Anderson
Providence Software Solutions, Inc.