[TriLUG] OT: When did GMail prostitution get so popular?

Ian Meyer ianmeyer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 13:16:53 EDT 2004

the spam filtering has been really good, ive been getting a lot, since
this isnt my main email address, and i have no qualms about spreading
it around where i might end up getting spam from signing up for
something...

but personally, i dont use it for the majority of my personal mail, so
the great google eye in the sky reading it all and archiving it
doesn't bother me...

and the fact remains that privacy in email is a fiction unless you
encrypt it from end to end. someone could be reading this on its way
from me to you, and chances are years from now a copy will still be
floating around a server somewhere, so i really don't care that google
scans it all and theres the possibility they keep it forever

i use the trash on gmail aplenty, there are just things i dont need,
like trilug, or internetworkers, since they're acrhived already on
those sites, but for the most part i just read stuff and leave it in
my inbox...

also, its nice, for those of us who aren't in a position to run our
own mail server, to be able to have a good service that works wherever
we are, and is ISP independent (instead of just having a pobox.com
email address that always points to wherever my mail server is), and
to that end, i used one of my invites for my mom who is moving and
will probably change ISPs at least twice over the next year, so she
doesn't have to keep updating everyone with a new email address

my $0.02
~ian

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:07:06 -0400, Ed Anderson <nilbus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gmail is the most amazing web-based email I have ever used. It blew my
> mind when I first got it.
>
> The thing I like most is how it groups all threads/conversations.  For
> example, when new mail arrives from an old thread. When you open the
> new message, all the previous messages in the thread are right there,
> collapsed. You can click any of the previous messages, and it will
> expand so you can see the message.  By default, it hides all quoted
> text from old messages to avoid redundancy, but again you can expand
> it.
>
> Shrinking, expanding, etc doesn't load a new page.  In fact,
> wheverever possible, the links in gmail modify the current page rather
> than going to a new page.  It does things I'd never imagined were
> possible on a webpage, and makes everything much faster.
>
> The option to delete mail forever is definitely still there, but I
> hardly use it unless I get spam.
> Where most webmail services have a Delete button, gmail has an Archive
> button, making it pretty easy to archive messages.  The advantages
> being you can always go back and find messages if for some reason you
> need them later, you don't have to leave a bunch of messages in your
> inbox, and all previous messages in a conversation/thread are
> available for viewing.
>
> Instead of Folders to sort messages, gmail uses Labels.  It's
> virtually the same thing, but you can have more than one label per
> message.
>
> The spam protection is pretty decent I hear, but I haven't gotten any yet.
>
> Anyway, I LOVE gmail and would recommend it to anybody. I used to hate
> webmail, but this is truly excellent.
>
> Ed
>
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:49:11 -0400 (EDT), Matt Pusateri
>

> <mpusateri at wickedtrails.com> wrote:
> > > I don't know, but I'll offer a free gmail invite to whoever comes up
> > > with the best answer. ;-)

> > I was going to leave this thread alone, but as my Grandma likes to tell me
> > "You hate peace"
> >
> > 1. First if I offend anyone I am sorry
> >
> > 2. I think the gmail invites have spurred some good discusions (although
> > most way over my head)
> >
> > 3. Maybe someone with a Gmail account can weigh in here, but I don't see
> > why I would want one?  I don't want google analyzing every email I send
> > and then inserting their own content (ie ads, etc) into my mail.  If they
> > aren't doing this then I have misunderstood.  Also I don't know if I like
> > the we will keep your email forever even if you delete it?  Again if I
> > have misunderstood let me know.  I don't think I need 1G of email of
> > course it is nice that I got 100M from my throw away yahoo account because
> > of it.  But maybe I just don't get it because I am lucky enough for my
> > employer to let me have a server on their IP space, and thus just run my
> > own mail server.
> >
> > 4. If I would get a Gmail account from someone who is pimping one, would
> [...]

Uh-huh, I know I ain't hearin' that see. You tellin' or you askin'?
Cuz nobody tells Boxy Brown.  - Boxy Brown