[TriLUG] OT: When did GMail prostitution get so popular?

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 14:42:01 EDT 2004

I am not offended.  Next item...

The thread presentation in Gmail kicksbutt.  I especially think so
because I used to setup my Outlook (at work) and my Evolution (at
home/laptop) to do this for the mailing lists that I read.  Gmail is a
perfect fit for semi-high and high traffic mailing lists.  If you read
the linux-kernel, you know what I mean.

The concept of searching email isn't new to me since I'm terrible at
using folders and use the filter/search function in Evoltion  (and
Ctrl-Shift-F in Outlook) way more than I sort stuff.  It's always made
much more sense to do it that way.  Searching email sounds weird, but
it really works well.

The benefits of 1GB of email are obvious, but I doubt I'll ever use
that much.  Actually, sometimes I use it to move db's around.  (shhhh)

The spam stuff is Gmail is so good, I didn't even know it was there
until two weeks ago.  That's how it should be.

More than one label per message is wonderful.

Privacy?   Ok, keep deluding yourself.  In this case, the benefit
outweighs the risk.  I've never seen an ad in a mail I sent, and I
barely notice the text ads on the side.  In fact, I didn't notice them
until I looked for them.

Things Gmail needs:
"Save draft"
Better contacts management

I don't like talking too much about one vendor or company's products
because I believe diversity is a good thing.  No one should be a
stormtrooper* for one company or another (unless they work there).  On
the other hand, Google's seems to keep coming out with good stuff.
Their beta of groups is way better than the current version.  Try it.
http://groups-beta.google.com/

MPF