[TriLUG] recommendations for professional resume help

rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com
Fri Aug 27 09:08:52 EDT 2004

Last job search I was distributing my resume in a strict XHTML format, no
tables.  I figured, since I'm a web developer, wouldn't it make sense to use
current HTML practices in my own resume?  I wasn't really concerned that anyone
would be using browsers too old to render CSS.

I got a couple responses
back from recruiters asking me to submit in Word.  I think their systems required
a word format for some reason.  No problem, since I maintained Word, PDF and
plaintext alternatives.  Otherwise, the XHTML didn't seem to be a problem,
but I'm not totally sure.

What does the group think?

--- Triangle
Linux Users Group discussion list <trilug at trilug.org wrote:
On Thu, 26 Aug
2004, Turnpike Man wrote:

> > now have plain text and PDF versions to
share for those locations that require
> > non Word resumes.  Of course,
there are some places that take Word only.  go
> > figure.
>
> I'd like
to second the suggestion of providing your resume in PDF format.
> The
two job offers I got both made positive comments about receiving my
> resume
in PDF form.  Word version mismatches can munge resumes into slop.

-bp