[TriLUG] A few more thoughts on Gmail

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 12:40:03 EDT 2004

A couple of other things I wanted to mention about Gmail now that I've
had time to refine my thoughts....

Gmail has incorporated nice features, but not too many.  I've found
these features whenever I'm about to do something the long way.  Then
I realize, "Hey, there's a widget for that."  Since many applications
(web or otherwise) bear their features like Miss American sashes,
Gmail is refreshing.  Barely noticeable design is a good thing.

The auto-refresh is obviously cool.

"Starred" messages can act as a to-do list.  Nice.

Import contacts is useful.  Contacts overall isn't bad, and I like the
"Notes" field.  Anything you import that doesn't fit one of the three
fields gets dumped into Notes.  What might make Contacts better is a
search box.  Then you could sniff those fields out of Notes.
"Frequently mailed" sounds very useful, but I've haven't needed it
yet.

Alright, enough about that.  I've got two more invites.  Ask and receive.

MPF