[TriLUG] Standalone X Program

Jeff Tickle jtickle at jtsoft.net
Fri Aug 27 19:07:14 EDT 2004

Howdy...

I have an interesting situation / learning experience that I can't find
much information about on Google.  A local security company is
interesting in some open source surveilance software for a machine that
is going to be a dedicated digital video recorder.  So basically, what I
want is a Linux that when it boots up, goes straight to the software
that handles the video stuff (pretty common stuff, like you can show all
the cameras in miniature boxes, or make one full-screen, or various
combinations, and set record times for certain cameras, things like
that.)  It's a pretty specific purpose, and not going to be used for
anything other than this digital video stuff.

I have a lot of it worked out, but one thing I have absolutely no
experience in is GUI programming of any sort in Linux.  What I was
thinking was just a basic X server that ran this one program.  But, I
can't find anything about how to work with X.  Any pointers to
documentation on X programming or perhaps a better way of doing what I'm
interested in doing would be greatly appreciated!

From college at Appalachian State University,

-Jeff

--
Jeff Tickle

http://www.jtsoft.net
Security and Digital Video Solutions
Nikken Independent Wellness Consultant
Probably some other stuff, too!

GPG Fingerprint: FC10 2221 B8EC 072E 752D  2079 2F9B A528 98AD 60BA