[TriLUG] broadband option in the Triangle area

Jeremy West jkwest at rmci.net
Sat Aug 28 15:55:03 EDT 2004

You know the only thing I despise about RR, is when I call tech support.  They
give me the standard first question on which o/s I'm using.  When I respond
linux, they say say that they don't support linux.  Last time I called I was
calling because we had severe packet loss.  I tried telling the guy I ddin't
want help with linux, and that I wanted someone to take a look at my packet
loss issue.  All he wanted to do was have me reboot my computer, clear my
dns, etc.  He wouldn't even help me because I was using linux.  Drove me
nuts.

Now, I'm currently using bellsouth.  I happened to get a few months for free
because I got caught in the static ip address advertisment trap.  Only after
getting the service did I find that you could only use the static on the
modem.  That wasn't what I'd hoped for or wanted.  After them telling me that
I should have read the fine print, I called the better business bureau.
Consumers pay based on advertising.  If you are going to advertise a static,
solely to win geeks over to your service, and then not actually give it to
them, then you need some adjustment.

Bellsouth has been ok though.  When it rains, I get 50% packet loss.  Every
few days the connection will drop.  It'll come back after a minute or two,
but it's darn irritating.  I wish I'd known about Intrex before I did the
bellsouth thing.