[TriLUG] Standalone X Program

Ilan Volow listboy at clarux.com
Sun Aug 29 01:27:10 EDT 2004

You could try getting a secondhand TiVO and hacking that. I've no idea
how well that would work, but I'd guess it would already have most of
the hardware and software you'd need.

You should probably also take a look at GStreamer. You might find
something there that could be of use. http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/

On Aug 27, 2004, at 7:07 PM, Jeff Tickle wrote:

> Howdy...
>
> I have an interesting situation / learning experience that I can't find
> much information about on Google.  A local security company is
> interesting in some open source surveilance software for a machine that
> is going to be a dedicated digital video recorder.  So basically, what
> want is a Linux that when it boots up, goes straight to the software
> that handles the video stuff (pretty common stuff, like you can show
> all
> the cameras in miniature boxes, or make one full-screen, or various
> combinations, and set record times for certain cameras, things like
> that.)  It's a pretty specific purpose, and not going to be used for
> anything other than this digital video stuff.
>
> I have a lot of it worked out, but one thing I have absolutely no
> experience in is GUI programming of any sort in Linux.  What I was
> thinking was just a basic X server that ran this one program.  But, I
> can't find anything about how to work with X.  Any pointers to
> documentation on X programming or perhaps a better way of doing what
> I'm
> interested in doing would be greatly appreciated!
>
> From college at Appalachian State University,
>
> -Jeff
>

> --
> Jeff Tickle
>
> http://www.jtsoft.net
> Security and Digital Video Solutions
> Nikken Independent Wellness Consultant
> Probably some other stuff, too!
>
> GPG Fingerprint: FC10 2221 B8EC 072E 752D  2079 2F9B A528 98AD 60BA
Ilan Volow
Ergonomica Auctorita Illico!