[TriLUG] WRT54G as WAP

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 10:35:00 EDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:19:20 -0400, Rick DeNatale
<rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please no flames about the unworthiness of 802.11.
>
> I just got a Linksys WRT54G which I'm trying to use as an access point
> instead of a router.

Our next meeting a week from Thursday will be on loading a custom
Linux firmware on this device.  You can use it as much more than just
a WAP.

As for your particular problem, on my Belkin, it had a feature to
disable the routing features essentially making it a WAP.  No
experience with the particular problem you're seeing though.

A couple of questions to flush out some ideas though: Does your
Windows machine get a DHCP address from your DHCP server?  Or is it
all static?  If you turn off wep and ETC, can you connect?  Remove
complexity to the simplest setup (no wep, no MAC filtering), and then
gradually increase complexity until it breaks.  Good luck.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com