[TriLUG] WRT54G as WAP

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 12:46:24 EDT 2004

So, while I was waiting for the Linksys support phone line to finally
hang up on me <G>.

First of all, I did indeed have the gateway and dns addresses manually
configured on the windoze laptop for the wireless interface.

I tried pinging another machine on the lan from the wireless machine,
and it worked! I could also ping the laptop from my linux machine.  I
then realized that I'd inadvertantly assigned the laptop an address
out of the pool which the Netgear router has for DHCP, in fact it was
a reserved address, although the machine in question wasn't on the
lan. So I changed it to a static address outside of the DHCP pool and
it still works.

Okay, next step, let's see if we can pull an address from DHCP on the
Netgear over wireless. Reconfigured and rebooted (damn Win98) the
laptop. No Joy!  Switched back to a static IP and it's still working.

So any ideas now, on why DHCP isn't getting through?  I don't
understand the routing table on the WRT54G. It's got one entry

Destination Lan IP=192.168.0.0
Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0
Gateway=0.0.0.0

In the meantime, I'm going to turn WEP back on and see if that breaks things.