[TriLUG] demoing F/OSS innovation(s)

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 13:19:19 EDT 2004

Well, we've had at least two presentations in the last year that I can
think of off the top of my head: Gaming on Linux by Chris Knowles and
MythTV by John Beimler.

Sure some of the games demoed were available for both Windows and
Linux, but many were developed exclusively for Linux.  Some of the
functions of MythTV certainly can be done with proprietary software,
but nothing so pollished or feature complete exists as far as I know.

Some webapps that wow: NetJuke (web based mp3/ogg/wav/etc organization
with streaming).  Gallery (photos and more).

How would you propose the demo go?  Video?  Is the premise of this
discussion flawed?  Does a wide reaching F/OSS software package exist
which has no competition from traditional shareware/nagware/commercial
software packages?

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com