[TriLUG] demoing F/OSS innovation(s)

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 16:34:20 EDT 2004

rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com wrote:

> I personally would be excited to see a general demonstration of how a mom
> & pop business could be run purely on Linux.  Even if it means including custom
> code. I don't mean email and OpenOffice.  I mean, an integrated enterprise
> solution.  Does anyone in the group do this kind of work?

I don't do that kind of work exactly, but I would love to see something
like what you're talking about.  And I think that, again, most of the
pieces exist. It's just a question of making them work together.

> Maybe this isn't sexy, but I personally
> would love to see it.  I struggle with how to do these things with F/OSS.

True.  On that note, have you looked at any of the gnuenterprise.org
stuff?  It's a project within the GNU "umbrella" to focus on that
"enterprise software" kind of stuff; financials, planning, etc.

May be overkill for a "mom & pop" business though, and I'm not sure
how close to finished most of their stuff is yet...

TTYL,

Phil
--
Vote Badnarik for President 2004