[TriLUG] demoing F/OSS innovation(s)

rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com rwshep2000.2725323 at bloglines.com
Tue Aug 31 16:57:19 EDT 2004

Brian,

I certainly didn't mean to imply that F/OSS is more applicable to
small business!  In fact, it rather seems to have its strongest applications
in large IT environments of large corporations.

I work for a mid-sized
manufacturing company, developing and integrating enterprise solutions for
our own use.  F/OSS has been great for us for web development, networks, etc.
 (And to a limited degree, the desktop.)  Where I've had trouble fitting F/OSS
in is the administrative applications that run the company.

That is where
my question came from, not from a notion that F/OSS = small potatoes.  I want
to know what others have done in small company settings.  We're looking at
expensive accounting software right now, and I wonder if I'm missing some
F/OSS alternatives that can really do the job.

--Bob

--- Triangle Linux
Users Group discussion list <trilug at trilug.org wrote:
I think it may be an
unfortunate assumption (for lack of a better word) to
> automatically assign
the usefulness and/or economic benefits of F/OSS
> software to "mom & pop"
organizations.  If some large-ish corporation(s)
> were to publicly jump
on using F/OSS software for their operations, it could
> be the sort of publicity
needed to give a big boost to real "end-user" F/OSS