[TriLUG] demoing F/OSS innovation(s)

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed Sep 1 14:53:41 EDT 2004

craig at cookitservices.com wrote:

>>If there's a regard in which some F/OSS package is better than it's competitor from the
>>proprietary world, then show that.  Or maybe demonstrate to people
>>that they can, using F/OSS do things they may have thought were either
>>impossible, or prohibitively expensive.
>>

>I am an expert in Big Brother system monitoring software.  I'm my opinion, it can complete with BMC Patrol and HP openview, and far easier to use.  www.bb4.com.  It has a "Better than Free" license which allows organisations to use it for free as long as they don't directly make money off it.
>
>I installed and customised a site monitoring over 1500 devices on their network.  $4 billion biotech company.
>
>It is easy to install and monitors 1+ servers, SNMP devices, networks, etc.
>
>I am willing to put a presentation (live demo) together showing it running on linux.
>
>Craig Cook

Okay, I'm going to try to say this as gently as possible.  :)  In the
past, I've been a *huge* fan of BigBrother, and have used it extensively
for upwards of 3-4 years.  Unfortunately, I finally got tired of it's
kludgey nature, it's poor performance, and it's web interface which is
sadly lacking in features, and most of all it's god-awful paging /
notification rules.  All of these things can be worked around with
careful planning, and addon packages (BBGen, custom scripts for enabling
/ disabling services, scheduling downtime, etc), but it really does take
some getting used to.  BB is the grandfather of open-source network
monitoring, but sadly it is a) no longer free for commercial use and b)
not keeping up with the pace of development from other more open
alternatives.

Personally, I've settled on Nagios as a *fabulous* replacement that
addresses every concern I had about BigBrother, and makes a far superior
replacement.  Sure, Nagios isn't perfect either - a) the config files
are very verbose, and take a bit of time to setup, but they are very
clear by comparison to BB, and b) the paging routines don't intuitively
allow you to separate notification times by pager and email (it's
possible, just not intuitive).  But the web integration is fabulous -
enabling / disabling service checks, notifications, scheduling downtime
- all things which required modding BB to death all come out of the box
with Nagios, and they are nicely integrated.  The service scheduler is
very intelligent (it spaces out all the service checks in a very "smart"
manner) and allows for easily and rapidly re-checking services (i.e. if
a service check that runs every 30 mins fails, then recheck it three
more times, but at 1 min intervals instead of 30 min intervals).  By
comparison BB fires of an enormous battery of tests all at once, at the
predefined interval (5 mins by default), and they all run at once.  The
only way to have a service rechecked if it fails is to have it not go
critical until it's failed X number of checks (which will happen in 5
min intervals, like it or not).  Under the hood, Nagios is all written
from the ground up in C, almost all of it's service checks are written
in C, and it's very cleanly designed.  BigBrother, by contrast, is a
horrible mish-mash of mostly Bash shell scripts, a little bit of C that
was rewritten out of necessity, and a fair number of it's service checks
are written in PERL.  There are some overlays that clean this up
significantly (BBGen is a rewrite of most of the core functionality in
C, and is orders-of-magnitude faster than stock BB), but you're still
left with a less-than-elegant solution.

The one big thing BB has going for it is deadcat.net - a repository of
hundreds upon hundreds of service checks, for just about anything
imaginable.  But personally, I have yet to find many services that
Nagios can't monitor for me - and the ones that I did require took me
less than an hour or so to whip up a plugin to monitor (dialin to the
Intrex modem pools, being one example).  And the best thing about
Nagios?  Open source.  100% GPL free for commercial use, happy to the
core software.  No strings attached.  To find other users who agree with
my take on things, you don't have to look too far - check out NCSU's system:

http://nagios.org/userprofiles/viewprofile.php?profile_id=126

Aaron S. Joyner