[TriLUG] demoing F/OSS innovation(s)

craig at cookitservices.com craig at cookitservices.com
Thu Sep 2 09:33:38 EDT 2004

Granted, BB does have some serious limitations.  Poor performance is a huge one.  Out of the box it is very limited, but with available mods, nearly anything is possible.  It does not scale out of the box (that's what I am for ;-).  It can be done with BBgen and other mods (I maintained a perl script for raw performance, but BBgen has since overtaken the functionality I had).  Lack of data logging to a SQL database is painful as well.

To be fair I have heard some very positive things about Nagios.  Not sure if this is true, but I heard BB agents report happily to the Nagios server.  If that is true, then the resources of deadcat.net would be available for Nagios as well.

Does Nagios have a trending module similar to LARRD?  I saw event trending, but not data eg. CPU load, disk graphs, memory usage, etc.

Is Nagios capable to send and receive SNMP?

BB has a very strong support group/mailing list.  I can't comment on Nagios since I have never used it before.  Think I have something to play with the next few weeks ;-)

For completeness, I have heard positive things about Big Sister, but have not used that either.

Anyway, offer to present still stands.  BB at the moment, or the option of Nagios in the future.