[TriLUG] EMC SAN w/ Linux Configuration

Justin L. Skinner bofh at speakeasy.net
Fri Sep 3 07:23:44 EDT 2004

There's many parts to getting  any box to boot from a SAN.

Are the bit masks on the FAs set for the proper OS & hardware (hba's, intel vs sun vs hp vs mainframe..etc)?
Are you using fiber switches, point to point, or point to point with fiber switches ?
What kind of HBAs are you using (that's very important)? Some distros and hardware platforms on the intel side have better support than others.

And of course did you check EMCs  *cough* wonderful compatibility matrix ?
In our case it was a symmetrix 8000 series box, it took some work but it was possible.

cheers,

Justin L. Skinner
bofh "AT" speakeasy.net
http://www.180MPH.com