[TriLUG] OT: anyone have terrain mapping softwawre?

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 4 20:14:25 EDT 2004

I am trying to determine the feasibility of a point-to-point, fairly
long-haul, 802.11 connection.  Does anyone have software that can
provide terrain information such as highest peak BETWEEN two GPS
coordinates?  Ultimately I'd like to have a small graphic that would
show the first and fall of the land between the two coordinates so that
I can plan the required height of the antenna masts.

Since are on this subject I'll go ahead and ask a related question: is
an IPSec connection possible over a network which already has an IPSec
encrypted segment?  What I'm getting at here is the long-haul wireless
connection would likely run IPSec over the air to discourage sniffing,
etc.  However, at the far endpoint the person using this connection has
a specific requirement to be able to connect to his office via an
encrypted tunnel from his laptop directly to his remote firewall.  I
would imagine such a connection is possible and I'm also fairly certain
that large chunks of the public switched Internet is running encryption
between different points but I personally have never tried a connection
like this (at least not to my knowledge).

Greg