[TriLUG] what is the best 2.6 kernel to update to

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Sep 5 14:48:35 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 13:26, Ed Hill wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 08:34, Ralph Blach wrote:
> > I am running a  redhat 9.0 system on an anthalon hardware and everthing
> > pretty much works perfectly.
> >
> > If I were going to update to a 2.6 x kernel, what 2.6.x kernel should I
> > update to?
> >
> > Which is the most reliable and roboust of "Stable Kernel"
>

> Hi Ralph,
>
> Rather than just updating the kernel, it may be wiser to install an
> entirely new distro.  If you're used to Red Hat, the Fedora Core
> releases will seem very familiar to you.  And Fedora Core 2 has a nice
> (IMHO) 2.6 kernel setup as its default.  We're running Fedora Core
> (versions 1, 2, and some of the test releases) on literally hundreds of
> systems including our desktops, laptops, storage servers, and compute
> nodes (beowulf clusters) and are quite pleased with it.
>
> If you decide to try it, a great place to start is:
>
>   http://fedorafaq.org/
>
> which has, among other things, a very helpful "yum.conf" file at:
>
>   http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware
>
> good luck,
> Ed

Ed's wisdom cannot be debated... but if you are going to upgrade, you
might think about a complete upgrade and go with Mandrake 10. I'm
running some heavy duty multi-service servers using Mandrake 10 (using
the default 2.6 kernel). They really kick butt, and are quite secure.

Also, the jump the Mandrake is not a big one from RedHat. It's about the
same amount of new learning as jumping from RH9 to FC1 or 2.

The main difference between FC and Mdk seems to be that Mdk comes with
all the services I want tuned nicely to work with the server, and that
Mdk comes with some nicer security options.

just my $.02,
Jon Carnes