[TriLUG] hand-holding apache question...

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Sep 7 10:31:13 EDT 2004

Brian Henning wrote:

>Yeah, I know, I should RTFM, but today I'm feeling stupid so I'm sure I'd
>miss something (these Tuesday == Monday days always mess with my head)..
>Right now, my httpd.conf file has no <VirtualHost> directives at all, and
>all works as it should.  I'm about to start providing hosting service for a
>non-profit that has their own domain, therefore I need to set up a
>VirtualHost.  The particulars of that I can handle by RTFMing.  My concern
>is, if I set up a specific VHost, do I then need to also explicitly set up
>the *:80 VHost in order to continue servicing the default?  I just want to
>make sure I don't break what already works.
>
>Thanks!
>~Brian
>
>----------------
>Brian A. Henning
>Strutmasters.com
>866.597.2397

Yes, once you turn on namedbased virtual hosting and start adding
virtualhost entries, the first virtualhost will be the "default".  So
you want to create a mostly-empty virtualhost that will take it's
defaults from the rest of the config file (which is already as you want
it), and then create new, additional virtualhost entries after that with
their appropriately different configurations.

Aaron S. Joyner