[TriLUG] cvs CVSROOT/modules

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 8 13:12:44 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 12:38:11PM -0400, William Sutton wrote:
> right..
>
> the tree looks like
>
> /home
>     /cvsadmin
>         /cvsroot
>             /CVSROOT
>                 modules
>             /mymodule
>
> so I would have figured that I wanted /home/cvsadmin/cvsroot ...

yup.

hmmm. no account on the CVS repository server. If you don't have
an account on the CVS server then how do you know for sure the
tree looks like what you show above :-).

I am stumped then.  Consider the commands you were using - they
all included your_name at ip_addr which implies that you are going to
log in to an account on the machine.

If you are going to avoid pserver and use ext and ssh then you need
to have an account on the CVS machine.  At least that's how it works for
me in my shop and at sourceforge.

> William
>
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Mike M wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 12:16:39PM -0400, William Sutton wrote:
> > > no joy :(
> > >

> > There's something funny about "CVSROOT/modules"
> >
> > This from the CVS doc that comes with the Debian system (it's the
> > CVS project generated docu).
> >
> > <q>The repository is split in two parts. `$CVSROOT/CVSROOT' contains
> > administrative files for CVS. The other directories contain the actual
> > user-defined modules.</q>
> >
> > It seems in your case $CVSROOT = /home/cvsadmin
> >
> > But you describe your repository being at /home/cvsadmin/cvsroot
> >
> > Either way, according to the docu. and looking at my 3 cvs repo., you
> > should not expect to find module directories at $CVSROOT/CVSROOT.
> > Instead, they would be found at $CVSROOT.

Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.