[TriLUG] cvs CVSROOT/modules

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Wed Sep 8 13:37:25 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 01:12 pm, Mike M wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 12:38:11PM -0400, William Sutton wrote:
> > right..
> >
> > the tree looks like
> >
> > /home
> >     /cvsadmin
> >         /cvsroot
> >             /CVSROOT
> >                 modules
> >             /mymodule
> >
> > so I would have figured that I wanted /home/cvsadmin/cvsroot ...
>
> yup.
>
> hmmm. no account on the CVS repository server. If you don't have
> an account on the CVS server then how do you know for sure the
> tree looks like what you show above :-).

>From what I gather, he has an account that he can use to test on the CVS
server.  When he tried to login using pserver, it didn't work.  No surprise
there; I don't think pserver is really configured.

What he wants (I think) is to have users with no explicit account on the CVS
server.  They will connect to the CVS server and login based on their
credentials in LDAP.  I have no idea how that works.  :-)

It looks like he's not the only one who found this problem non-trivial.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Q_20927411.html

I'm on the verge of recommending that they stop spending engineering dollars
setting it up and migrate to Perforce instead.  ;-)

---Tom