[TriLUG] Reminder - NC*SA presents Tom Limoncelli, September 13, 2004, 7pm at Red Hat Corporate HQ

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 14:14:00 EDT 2004

This is a reminder that next meeting of the North Carolina System
Administrators will be Monday, September 13, 2004, at 7pm.  Details
about this special meeting and directions are provided in this note.

Topic: "Where the Heck is My Flying Car?"
Speaker:  Tom Limoncelli, Co-author, The Practice of System and
Network Administration
Time & Date: 7:00 p.m., Monday, September 13, 2004
Location:  Red Hat Corporate HQ
               1801 Varsity Dr
               Raleigh, NC

Abstract:
It's 2004 and we still don't have moving side-walks or flying cars,
and computers aren't nearly as cool as they were on The Jetsons. Tom
has visited many sites in the last few years and observed a lot of
really bad IT practices. He will discuss what he saw and some recent
epiphanies he's had about "best practices" in system administration.
The second half of the talk will be about his current project to
update a small company's IT  infrastructure. It has forced him to
rethink what constitutes the "basic infrastructure" of an IT
organization, and how big companies are held back when they forget the
basics.  He's also working on a new book about "time management for
sysadmins", and will be treating us to some excerpts!

Bio:
Tom Limoncelli is Director of IT Services at Cibernet Corp.  A
sysadmin and network wonk since 1987, he has worked at Dean for
America presidential campaign, Lumeta Corp, Bell Labs, Lucent, AT&T,
Mentor Graphics and Drew University.  A frequent speaker at Usenix
and LISA conferences, he holds a B.A. in C.S.
==============================

Our meetings are free and open to anyone with an interest in the topic
of the evening and/or system administration.  If you have any questions please
contact the Steering Committee at:

ncsa-steer at ncsysadmin.org

 ncsa-discussion .. general discussion
 ncsa-announce .... meeting announcements
 ncsa-jobs ........ employment opportunities
 ncsa-steer ....... steering committee

These are currently run on a Mailman list manager at
ncsysadmin.org - please see this page on our web site
for more information about these lists:
http://www.ncsysadmin.org/lists.html

(Please note, if you are a member of sage-members at usenix.org, you
will also get a copy of these announcements.  We cannot unsubscribe
you from that list.)

Red Hat Corporate Headquarters is located on Centennial Campus at
North Carolina State University.

A map and directions to Red Hat can be found here:
http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/wwoffices/map_hq.html