[TriLUG] cvs CVSROOT/modules

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Wed Sep 8 15:10:17 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 08 September 2004 02:20 pm, Mike M wrote:

> > I'm on the verge of recommending that they stop spending engineering
> > dollars setting it up and migrate to Perforce instead.  ;-)
>
> How much do it cost?  Pretty hard to beat  the cost of CVS and SSH.  And
> it's pretty hard to beat the security of SSH.  The support network for
> CVS is vast and free too.

cost -> non-trivial, but I suppose that depends on how many hours Mr. Sutton
and his co-workers spend trying to set up the CVS server.  ;-)

The original suggestion was really a joke.  I happen to be fond of Perforce
and prefer many aspects of it (branch handling, integration tracking, and
atomic changelists) to CVS...plus, Perforce's support has been very good.
I've been meaning to try Subversion since it seems to have some of the things
that I like about Perforce.  Just haven't had time yet.

---Tom