[TriLUG] scheduling a forced fsck

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 9 11:20:58 EDT 2004

I have a laptop with a usb v1.0 port. I use an external 120G usb disk for
backup and moving files between computers. After mounting 23 times (or
whatever), the external disk has a forced fsck, which takes about 2hrs on
the usb v1.0 machine, derailing any attempt to use the disk for the rest
of the evening.

I could set the disk to never require a forced fsck, but I'm afraid that
might have other repercussions (although I'm not sure what).

Running fsck on the disk before mounting it doesn't reset the counter for
the number of mounts to be counted towards the forced fsck (although I
would have hoped it did) and I still have to wait for a forced fsck when
the disk wants, rather than when I want.

I was hoping that I could do something on my schedule (eg run fsck on the
disk when I know I'm not going to use it) to avoid this problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Joe