solved was: Re: [TriLUG] scheduling a forced fsck

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Sep 9 12:35:48 EDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Matt Pusateri wrote:

> I thought if you placed a zero in the sixth field in your fstab, that it
> would not try to check the filesystem.

I'm trying to avoid that approach, although I'm not sure that it will get
me into any trouble. I was looking for a method to force a fsck on my
schedule.

Spelunking in the init scripts on a new machin, I find a -f option to
fsck, which forces a fsck, that I hadn't seen before. man (8) fsck didn't
show this option and I assumed it didn't exist. However man (8) fsck.ext2,
which I didn't know I had, shows more options to fsck than ever I knew
about. The -f option resets the mount count to 0, which you can read with
dumpe2fs, solving my problem.

Thanks

Joe