[TriLUG] Linux forums other than trilug?

Mike M no-linux-support at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 9 16:14:43 EDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 08:34:15AM -0400, Tom Bryan wrote:
> So, I've posted about this question a couple of times, and it looks like
> everyone's as stumped as I am.  I'm just about googled out.  What other high
> quality (high signal-to-ratio) forums do you all use when TriLUG can't answer
> your question?

The escalation path is:
 1) google
 2) general lists (trilug is unusually good, debian-user is good but you
 need to frame questions in a Debian framework, the benefit of
 debian-user is that you get responses from around the world)
 3) specific interest groups (often they have separate lists for
 users and developers; subscribe-ask question-unsubscribe; don't
 worry about sig/noise)

My experience tells me that if I still don't get an answer, then
 1) I don't understand the problem
 2) I can't describe the problem
 3) I found virgin territory (least likely)

> In case anyone wants to take a crack at the original question, I'm having
> trouble with grub and a wrong kernel image version number.  I wanted to move
> my root partition, which contains both / and /boot to another hard drive.

Do you have a grub boot CD?  (I can post the .iso I made if you need
one.)  Then you can interactively issue the commands and get immediate
feedback from grub.  Bootable grub is a powerful tool.  I learned it as
a result of prompting from folks on the debian-user list.

In general I think you should be able to do what you are describing.
Are you really moving partitions or just defining new partitions.  It
appears to me that you are booting multiple OSs - which is exactly
what GRUB does.

I would learn to use interactive grub and then go to the grub developers
for more detailed help if you still need it.

> > > Boot knoppix or equivalent, and mount the old and new partition.  It'll go
> > > faster if the two drives are on different IDE channels.
> > >
> > > cp -avx /mnt/old/* /mnt/new/
> > >
> > > I suggest reading the man page to see just what those flags are doing.
> >
> > Thanks.  That seemed to copy everything, but do I need to do something
> >  special with the kernel image?  Or am I forgetting something silly?  I'm
> >  getting the following error in grub
> >
> > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=/dev/hdb1
> > Error 15: File not found
> >
> > /dev/hda8 was my old root partition.  /dev/hdb1 is supposed to be my new
> > root partition when I'm all done.  grub.conf looks like this on both
> > partitions:
> >
> > default=0
> > timeout=10
> > splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> > title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
> >         root (hd0,7)
> >         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=/dev/hda8
> >         initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
> > title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8 new hard drive)
> >         root (hd1,0)
> >         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=/dev/hdb1
> >         initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-8.img
> >
> > /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 was copied using cp -avx from /dev/hda8 to /dev/hdb1
> > (while they were both mounted from using Knoppix).  I ran rdev to switch
> > /boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-8 on /dev/hdb1's root device to /dev/hdb.
>
> That's it.  :-/  I copied all of the files from one partition to another (when
> they were both mounted under Knoppix) and tried to boot.  The file really is
> /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 when I mount it under Knoppix or my initial hard drive
> (hd0,7).  Grub is the only thing that seems to see all of those (System.map,
> vmlinuz, initrd, etc.) as 2.4.18-3.  Where does it get that number?  If I
> change grub.conf to say that the kernel on (hd1,0) is vmlinux-2.4.18-3, then
> grub will try to boot it, but then it can't find /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/, of
> course.  Ugh!
>
> I'm just about to report a bug in grub because I can't figure out how else to
> determine where 2.4.18 is coming from.
>
> ---Tom

Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.