[TriLUG] how to tell if an IDE disk is operating as EIDE or just IDE?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Sep 10 17:52:54 EDT 2004

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Mike Johnson wrote:

> hdparm -i /dev/hde
> /dev/hde:
>
>  UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6

>  * signifies the current active mode

ah, didn't spot the '*' or realise what it meant.

> My drive is in udma6, which is Ultra DMA 133.  You're really asking
> which level of IDE is it using.

OK. Have not been following what drives are about at all.

> All drives have been EIDE for a long time.  I doubt you have a simple
> IDE drive.

yes, but the IDE header on some of my machines has all the pins (ie won't
take an EIDE cable), so I have some IDE machines.

I thought that there was EIDE and IDE (ie two levels) and that if you used
an IDE cable on EIDE hardware, that the EIDE hardware would drop back to
IDE (like 100Mbps and 10Mbps ethernet). As a result of your posting, I see
that it's probably more complicated - now I don't know what effect the two
types of cables have (except the EIDE cable may allow faster transfer if
the rest of the hardware is capable).

Thanks Joe