[TriLUG] Samba-3 + PDC+LDAP Question

Marty Ferguson marty.ferguson at pobox.com
Fri Sep 10 23:12:45 EDT 2004

Mark Fowle wrote:

> Has anyone worked with the Samba 3/PDC+LDAP configuration?  I have a
> configuration where I have LDAP on one server and
> samba on the other - both sides see each other, at least until I have
> to join a windows XP machine to the domain - then it suddenly
> can't find either  root or Administrator ---  (I don't have access to
> my smb.conf file right now, otherwise I'd post it...)   I think
> it's looking for the root entry in the smbpasswd file (which is there)
> but I have my passdb backend setup for tdbsam ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1
>
> If I try to mount a share from the linux server, I can give it
> root/password or Administrator/password and have no problems...
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

If I were to shoot from the hip and wager a guess, I would say that the
XP machine may kicking off the
master-browser election across the SMB domain, and probably has the
highest Master Browser "os level"

There's some GUI interface you can use on the windows boxes to block
them from ever attempting
to start an election.  It's been quite a while, and I don't remember how
I did it, but as I recall, I had
similar symptoms a couple of years ago, and this technique of disabling
master-browser campaigning worked..

After all, it's windows.  Just keep experimenting untill something
works.  But don't bother to write it down, because
the next time, the same methods won't procure the same results :)

Marty