[TriLUG] More Probing! What does it mean?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Sep 15 08:40:49 EDT 2004

H'lo,
  My logwatch is now sporting messages from Apache that say things like:
<">
A total of 2 sites probed the server
  192.168.1.33
  208.17.194.179

!!!! 53 possible successful probes
 /phpmyadmin/images/arrow_ltr.gif HTTP Response 304
 /phpmyadmin/images/button_nobrowse.png HTTP Response 304
 /phpmyadmin/sql.php?lang=en-iso-8859-1&server=1&db=<munge>&table=<munge
munge>&show_query=1&sql_query=INSERT+INTO+........
</">
What is its definition of "probe?"  Those citations all look like typical
activity (especially given that 192.168.1.33 is my workstation, and I was
using phpmyadmin...the last snippet there obviously is an SQL query I
performed).  So why's it showing up as a "successful probe attempt?"  And
how do I stifle such messages?  53+ probe citations, especially when some
are huge SQL insert statements, makes for excessive scrolling..

My apologies if this seems to be a somewhat juvenile inquiry..

TIA,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning
Strutmasters.com