[TriLUG] Transferring audio cassettes to CDs with Linux

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Thu Sep 16 00:33:55 EDT 2004

Hi, all.  I'm back to one of my old projects, and I'm havnig trouble
reconstructing what I learned last time.  I'm hoping that someone here has
found a nice explanation somewhere about doing what I'm trying to do.

I have a bunch of audio cassettes.  I'd like to record them to something like
a .wav file and burn the audio to CDs.  (My car no longer has a cassette
player.)

I have read the "Analog Ripping HOWTO" at
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Rip/rip-analog.html.

I can follow those instructions and get audio recorded to my hard drive, but
it requires me to babysit the recording and stop the "rec" program between
each song on the tape.  Wow, that sounds horrible!  I have plenty of disk
space (the 160 GB drive).  I have no problems with recording an entire side
of a cassette and then later using some other software to help me split the
one giant .wav into one .wav per song.  I even saw an app to do that or help
me do that several months ago, but now I can't find it among my bookmarks.

For once, I'm not very interested in learning all of the details of this
aspect of Linux.  I'm just trying to convert dozens of cassettes to CDs so
that I can listen to them in my car.  I've found a bunch of interesting
applications (Audacity, Studio, Rosegarden, etc.) and I'm learning more than
I really wanted to about audio in Linux (OSS, ALSA, aRts, oh my!).  I'd love
for someone to post a link to a little magic app out there that will do all
of this for me!

---Tom