[TriLUG] Monitoring Samba Bandwidth?

Joshua Gitlin josh at glowfilms.com
Thu Sep 16 09:37:33 EDT 2004

Hey TriLUG,

I just installed Samba on a server for a potential client looking for a
custom hosting solution. He wanted his employees to be able to map
network drives under windows from any location, but didn't want to have
to deal with managing a server... so Samba seemed to me to be the best
(or maybe the only?) option. Anyway. I have a limited amount of
bandwidth on this server, and I sold this guy a specific portion of
that... trouble is, I don't know f any way to monitor the bandwidth
that just one process uses... or any way to break down the bandwidth on
my server by process... much less any way to limit the amount of
bandwidth that the Samba server can use, or even limit the amount of
bandwidth his specific user can use... ANy thoughts on how to do any of
these things?

Thanks Guys!

-Josh