[TriLUG] Monitoring Samba Bandwidth?

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Thu Sep 16 19:58:52 EDT 2004

SMB across the WAN is pretty common on bigger networks.  We have ~50
people in the building, and the file servers are in a data center to the
east about 40 miles.

Managing it, now that's another matter entirely, not one that our
nestwork folks do well.  SMB across the internet, now that's bad.

I would agree that monitoring by port is the best way to go.  Especially
if you have a management solution in place, if you're small, you could
do something that brings things together, Big Brother for monitoring
systems, and something else for bandwidth utilization.

Another approach is to do NFS over the WAN, not a lot better, but could
be, Services For Unix (SFU) from Microsoft is free, and you can do user
name mapping of Windows users and groups to UNIX users and groups.
Perhaps you are more comfortable with NFS, I know that many folks are.
Besides, it's a smaller target for attacks, everyone loves to attack
"Microsoft protocols" not too much attention to NFS, at least you
wouldn't be as likely to propagate viri.

Just my $.02,

    Kevin