[TriLUG] Linux Newbie Resources

sholton at mindspring.com sholton at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 20 14:54:38 EDT 2004

A lot depends on what you're planning to do with Linux.

I'm guessing (since you mentioned Windows/DOS) that you're planning
to use Linux in a desktop operating system mode and that you're
primarily interested in IA32 architecture. If I'm right, that narrows the
choices quite a bit.

You'll probably want to start with one of the GNU/Linux distros marketed
as a desktop distribution; something that includes either Gnome
or KDE.

You might want to start with a Knoppix (or Gnoppix) disk, which
will give you a quick tour with little risk. These distros run
directly from the CD, so you don't have to worry about
overwriting anything important on the hard drive.

Mandrake, Red Hat's Fedora, and SUSE are other desktop oriented
distros which are appropriate for Newbies. More advanced users may
prefer Debian, slackware or gentoo.

If you're really interested in learning linux "from the ground up", check
out the Linux From Scratch website. That's likely beyond you right
now, but you may find in useful in the future.

All of these (and many more) are available from the Distro
Watch web site at:
  http://distrowatch.com/