[TriLUG] openssh practical limit

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Tue Sep 21 19:45:48 EDT 2004

Ryan,

I imagine it has a lot to do with what is passing through those ssh
connections.  If you're talking about users having shell access, I think
you'll be ok with even a very large number of users connected.

If, on the other hand, you want to transfer files or do remote X sessions
through an SSH tunnel, you'll be much more limited.

It all comes down to bandwidth.  On my LAN, I have a file server with a
Celeron 466.  Sending large files through ssh cuts the throughput in half, I
presume because of the poor celeron not being able to keep up with encrypting
all that data.  The more data you pump through each connection, the harder
sshd will have to work.

So, tell us what you want to do with ssh.

Michael