[TriLUG] Fedora Core 2 + MySQL 4.1

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Wed Sep 22 18:55:49 EDT 2004

Hi All,
  Some of you will recognize this as the issue I was winning the
talking-to-self award in the IRC channel for today..  Well, I still haven't
solved it.  The low-down is:

If I install the RPMs from mysql.com for 4.1, things get fubar'd (as someone
correctly forewarned me).  Dependencies get broken, and useful little things
like being able to start mysql cease functioning.

So could someone point me to a howto or discussion or whatever that would
shed some good light on the right way to upgrade?  I need to make sure that
things like Perl-DBD-MySQL, php-mysql, etc. remain unbroken, because I make
considerable use of them.  I want to upgrade because I want to be able to
use subqueries, which aren't supported before 4.1.

TIA,
~Brian