[TriLUG] seeking WGET assistance, maybe LYNX is the answer ??

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 09:01:09 EDT 2004

I spent about 45 mins yesterday on the phone with a tech support person for
this device, and at one point he brought on one of the programmers.
Unfortunately, had the programmer actually been paying attention as opposed to
just being there to make customer service seem better, I might have gotten
somewhere with the device... maybe.

Interestingly enough, their little HTTPGET.exe proggy is somewhat of a
missnomer.  I don't think it is truely doing an HTTP GET, opposite of HTTP
POST.  However, it kinda is, because the "iServer" embedded web device is what
is supposed to respond.  At any rate, the winsock crap is not anything I need
to worry about anymore, I think I learned more about that and it's just a
Windows method of doing TCP/IP communication.

Tom put in some interesting python code, again, python, perl, and anything
outside of HTML, PHP, SQL are greek to me.  However, I'm still open to such
options.

Latest news is... the "continuous mode" in which I can connect via telnet and
get a data stream of temp, humidity, dewpoint, time, temp, humidity, dewpoint,
time, etc... has lost the time part, only spewing t, h, d now.  So I'm working
with those folks to get that right.  In the end, I guess I only need collect my
computer timestamp and not worry about the device timestamp when using the
streamed data.  There is also "command mode" in which I can connect via telnet
and 'paste' the "*SRT" command to get temp and timestamp back.  I dunno why
paste must be used instead of typing the command, but that's telnet for ya I
guess.  However, now this only reports temp and no timestamp either.

Fortunately timestamping on the internal logging of the device is fine, it's
just not spewing it to me when I send it telnet or httpget.exe commands
anymore.

Found out my WGET is 1.8.2-15.3 in FC1, not recent enough to include
--post-data=STRING option.

Also, the -r means NO HTTP headers in their httpget.exe proggy... it's a raw
mode of connection that I think support says won't work if you include any HTTP
header communication.

still pluggin away,
David M.